Neck Pain Relief: At-Home Neck Pain ExercisesBy Nigel Chua
Neck pain is a common ailment affecting millions of individuals worldwide. It's typically caused by factors such as poor posture, neck muscle or joint strain, stress, or even underlying medical conditions.
Regardless of the cause, a stiff neck is uncomfortable, painful and debilitating.
While seeking professional medical advice is crucial for severe or chronic neck pain, there are several effective at-home exercises that can help alleviate mild to moderate neck discomfort and improve overall neck health.
In this article, we'll explore some simple and safe neck pain relief exercises you can do right from the comfort of your home.
5 easy neck-strengthening exercises to add to your daily routine
Lateral Neck Flexion (Sideways bending, left and right)
These neck stretches are a fundamental way to ease tension and increase flexibility in the neck muscles.
- Start by sitting or standing comfortably (we recommend doing this in sitting or lying down with good support) with your back straight and shoulders relaxed.
- Slowly tilt your head to the right.
- With your right hand, gently pull your head to bring your ear toward your right shoulder. When done right, you will feel a stretching sensation along the muscles of the left shoulder and neck almost immediately.
- Hold the stretch for 15-30 seconds, feeling the gentle stretch along the side of your neck.
- Repeat on the left side
- Do three sets on each side.
Neck Rotation (Turning your head left and right)
Neck rotations help release stiffness in the neck and improve its range of motion.
Strengthening these neck rotation muscles can reduce the risk of neck strain and enhance overall neck function.
These exercises engage muscles called the neck rotators, which play a crucial role in daily activities such as driving, looking over your shoulder, and even simple tasks like crossing the street safely.
- Begin in a neutral position with your head facing forward.
- Slowly turn your head to your left side, trying to look over your left shoulder.
- Hold the position for 15-30 seconds and then repeat on the other side.
- Perform three sets on each side.
The shoulder rolls exercise is a simple and effective way to relieve tension in your shoulder and neck muscles while promoting improved neck mobility and flexibility.
This neck exercise also helps to relieve shoulder pain and can be done virtually anywhere (home, office, hotel, as you travel in sitting of course), making it an excellent addition to your daily routine.
- Sit or stand with your back straight and shoulders relaxed.
- Slowly roll your shoulders forward in a circular motion for 10-15 repetitions, then reverse the direction.
- Perform three sets in each direction.
Isometric Neck Exercises
Isometric neck exercises involve contracting the neck muscles without actually moving your head. The movement is a form of tightening or flexing your muscles without moving the muscles (imagine hardening the muscles of your hands, just like that)
These neck exercises can be highly effective for building neck strength and stability, which is essential for supporting the weight of your head and maintaining proper neck posture.
- Place your hand against your forehead and gently push your head forward while resisting the movement with your neck muscles.
- Continue looking straight ahead, holding the contraction for 5-10 seconds, and then relax.
- Repeat with your hand against the side of your head and the back of your head. Perform three sets for each direction.
Neck Extension (Backwards neck movement)
The neck extension exercise is an effective way to strengthen the muscles at the back of your neck, known as the neck extensors. These neck muscles are crucial in supporting the weight of your head and maintaining proper neck posture.
Neck extensions can help counteract the effects of poor posture, reduce neck strain and improve neck stability.
- Sit or stand with your back straight and tilt your head backward slowly, looking up toward the ceiling.
- Hold the stretch for 15-30 seconds and then return to the starting position. Repeat for three sets.
Live a better, pain-free life with Phoenix Rehab!
We hope that these exercises helped with your stiff neck!
Already tried them out but still facing persistent neck pain? Not to worry - you'll be in good hands with our physiotherapists!
We are a boutique physiotherapy clinic in Singapore that offers an integrated approach to pain and injury rehabilitation through treatment plans that are tailored to each individual.
Our skilled therapists will diagnose and treat various conditions causing neck discomforts, such as muscle strains, cervical spine issues, and postural imbalances.
We'll help you treat pain, improve mobility, correct alignment, and restore your neck's natural strength through targeted exercises, manual therapy, and personalised care.
So what are you waiting for?
Book an appointment for neck physiotherapy and experience our healing hands for yourself today!